Pie Filling & Topping Ingredients
- 1 1/2cup sugar
- 1 1/2cup water
- 2 cups of fresh mint, leaves picked and stems discarded
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup good-quality bourbon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 premade pie shell
- In a saucepan, stir together white sugar and water over high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and stir in mint (reserve a couple of pretty mint leaves for garnish). Set aside to cool.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and brown sugar until fully combined and slightly frothy. Stir in bourbon, one cup of the mint simple syrup, and salt.
- Beat heavy cream with 3 tbsp of the cooled mint simple syrup until you reach your desired whipped cream consistency. Refrigerate until ready to top pie.
- You should have some simple syrup left over – this keeps for ages in the fridge, use it for cocktails (may I suggest a mint julep?), mint lemonade, or to drizzle over berries.
- Preheat oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- pour in the julep custard filling and bake until the filling has just set and is still slightly wobbly in the center, for about 20 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once your pie is fully cooled, top it with mint whipped cream, garnish with fresh mint sprigs, and serve!